Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Mercy and Compassion

Lately I haven't blogged, I guess I'm still unconvinced I have a blog worthy life!  I go through spurts...bear with me I guess!   
Last week we had the opportunity to take 9 students between 8th-10th grade on an in state missions trip.  We drove 2 1/2 hours from home and served with Mission Arlington.  Since attending I am a huge Mission Arlington fan!  It all started with a missionary couple that was doing full time mission work in South Korea, they were back visiting and someone asked them why they are doing missions across the world, but there are so many people here that need help.  Well that was over 25 years ago and wow has it boomed!  They have over 300 churches that are taking place in apartment complexes, they have enough food in their possession to feed all of Arlington for over a month, they have a sports program for kids that want to play but can't afford it in a school league, there is medical and dental facilities, clothing, furniture, you name it and Mission Arlington does it!  Their basis is that missions isn't something you "go" and do!  They take the church to the people!  So many people think they have to have their life somewhat put together before they can walk into a local church.  However these apartment churches people are more likely to attend b/c it's in their complex, with their friends, not in a "churchy" building.
Our group was able to connect with a Mission Arlington local church and help them with their grounds and buildings each morning and run a Bible club at an apartment complex in the afternoon!  Our students were prepped and trained to the best of their ability, however nothing could prepare their hearts for how the Lord would move!  We all went expecting to be a blessing to hurting people, never did we imagine receiving the blessings that we did!  The work that the students did at the church in the mornings was an overhaul!  They cleared out rooms and closets that needed to be cleared since the 70's!  Their hard work now shows many empty rooms that the church can use to host more small groups and minister to so many more people!  The Bible club they ran was completely them!  My husband nor I did any lead positions and boy was that hard for us!  We sat back and let them run it and they soared with flying colors!  Day 2 of Bible club we pulled up in the van to the complex and one of our students said to the group, "oh no, look they're wearing the same clothes as yesterday!"  The van sat silently as we all had a wake up call that we have it so much better then we'll ever know!  There were some kids that wore the same outfit all 4 days we were there!  Some of their shoes were so torn up it is a wonder they could keep them on their feet!  We saw 12 kids accept Jesus Christ as their Savior and choose to live for Him!  It's amazing what playing 4-square, painting nails, kicking a soccer ball, or some kool-aid will do to open up conversations about the Lord! 
I came home challenged to reach my small city with love and compassion!  James 2:15-17 says "If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food,  and one of you says to them "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works is dead." I'm praying the Lord allows us to open a food pantry for the needy in our city.  I'm praying the Lord will remind me of the hurting people when I complain I have "nothing" to eat!  I'm praying our students wont fizz out and that they'll continue on their journey of compassion and mercy.  I'm praying God gives me opportunities to feed the hungry even when I'm not looking for them!  I pray that I show mercy and compassion to souls...b/c that's  what they are...souls!

No comments: